Thursday, August 8, 2013

And I ran away

Do you ever those days (or weeks) when the doldrums just seem to stick to you? You wander and wander around and fill your head with words that no one will ever hear and maybe, just maybe, jot them them down secretly. Hoping that to free the words will free your mind and your heart. Sometimes that doesn't always work. So, to escape I escaped. I ran away for the afternoon to Santa Barbara. I packed my bag, ready for overnight, stashed my laptop and breathed in the hope of a new adventure.

How amazingly beautiful it was. The blue sky was true, so flat and cloudless and calm. The temperature was nearly the same within and without my tortured soul. It was like floating in water. I wandered around the main drag and window shopped the cute boutiques. I had lunch with myself and with a glass of cool chardonnay. After inquiring at a couple of hotels, that were either booked or far out of my price range, (which, let's be honest...anything over $20 a night right now, is out of my price range.) I knew it was not going to last. The afternoon carried on comfortably and carefree and I knew I needed to come home. I had already RSVP'd for my writer's group that evening. Having already flaked on the last meeting, I felt I needed to go.

So, I said goodbye to my afternoon and strolled back to my car, where I new a long, arduous drive in late afternoon traffic awaited.

Still, it was worth it. Worth an afternoon where no one knew where I was. An afternoon of freedom. And I would do it again. Hopefully, with someone who's hand I can hold. If not, then just with me. I will hold my own hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment