Thursday, August 29, 2013

Inspiration or Outspiration

It's hard to believe that under these bright clear skies, inspiration seems to have become as lost as clothing on Lady Gaga. I'm excited to be working on a new piece, yet I've been stuck, without the words to paint my idea. So, yesterday afternoon I decided to seek some inspiration and cool air at the museum.


 The Norton Simon is one of my favorite museums. It's small enough to not be overwhelming with a soft intimacy but still has a wonderful collection of paintings that I never tire viewing. I even discovered their app that allowed me to listen to audio commentary through my iphone. Appreciating the colors, subjects, compositions I was hoping to saturate myself with even a sliver of their genius. If only for a minute. To feel what it must have felt for these artists to be so driven to create and to put down in color their thoughts and desires, no matter how hidden or overt in the subject.

After spending a few hours I almost felt guilty ducking out of the beautiful day to search for something I didn't know even where for to search. In the spirit of mindfulness, I think inspiration should be absorbed wherever you are. In or out.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment